Things to Know
Card Experience – Beginner
Competitive – 2 players
Slow-paced – No time pressure except for Mightier challenges
Length of 10-15 min, with options to limit play time
- Comparing card values
- Calming down within a set time frame
What You’ll Need
- Card deck no Jokers
- 6 Coins
- Mightier heart rate monitor
- Mightier App
- Split a shuffled deck into 2 face-down piles, one for each player.
- Give each player 3 coins to represent their available Challenges.
- Choose a player to wear the heart monitor, making them the Gizmo Keeper.
- To limit play time, decide how many rounds you want to do before starting.Challenges.
- Turn on the Mightier tablet, enter Gizmode, and select ‘Dragon Duel’.
How to Play
- On each turn players flip over their top card and place it face-up between them.
- The player with the higher card takes both cards and adds them to their win pile.
- If the cards have the same value, a Duel begins. Both players add another 3 cards face-down and then one more card face-up. The higher card wins the duel and all the cards in the duel go into that player’s win pile.
- If the cards deciding the duel are the same value, then the duel process repeats until someone plays a higher card.
- The game is over once one player is completely out of cards or does not have enough cards to complete a duel.
- If it was decided to limit rounds then count up each time the Gizmo Keeper begins a new draw deck from their win pile. Once the count reaches the round limit the game will end the next time either player runs out of draw cards. Both players count their cards to determine the winner.
- After both players have placed their cards, either during a turn or a duel, either player can try to change the result using one of their Challenge coins and calling out ‘Challenge!’
- The Gizmo Keeper must try to get into the blue or grey by the end of a countdown.
- To determine the countdown length refer to the last card placed by the Gizmo Keeper. The value of that card is the countdown length.
- Reveal the Gizmo to begin the challenge and start the countdown.
- Once the countdown begins, the Gizmo Keeper must try to stay or get into the blue, despite any distractions the other players may be creating for them.
- No matter who began the challenge, if the Gizmo is in the blue or grey by the end of the countdown the Gizmo Keeper wins the challenge. If Gizmo is in the red the other player wins.
Extra Ways to Play
No Rush Rules – makes challenges easier
There is no time limit to the challenges, take as long as you like.
Flip It Rules – makes challenges easier
If a player is already in the blue when a challenge begins they must get into the red before the end of the countdown. If they are in the red or grey, they must get into the blue to win.
Long Haul Rules – makes the game last longer
Continue play until one player is completely out of cards or does not have enough cards to complete a duel.
En Garde Rules – more challenges during play
Play with more challenge coins, choose a number that keeps play interesting.
Feel free to make up your own rules, remember whatever feels fun is the right way to play!
Tips on Easing into Play
- Don’t use countdowns, or count slowly to decrease challenge pressure
- Play for 2 rounds to limit initial session
- Play with the Gizmo always visible to decrease surprises on challenges
- Play with fewer challenge coins if cooldowns are difficult
Watch the Video
More Mightier Games to Play
Additional Mightier Family Games will be shared throughout your membership, so there are always new games and fun!