Cut the Wire
A Mightier version of ‘James Bond’
Things to Know
Card Experience – Intermediate
Cooperative – Players work together as a team
Fast-paced – Players try to complete the game as fast as they can
Length of 10-15 min
Picking up and putting down cards quickly
Matching cards into four of a kind
Communicating & cooperating as a team
Attention and focus
- Calming down in fast-paced situations, with the support of the other players.
What You’ll Need
- Card deck
- Mightier heart rate monitor
- Mightier tablet
Create a stack of 4 cards face-down to the side of the playing area, this will be the draw pile.
Split all of the remaining cards into piles of 4 cards face-down. Divide piles evenly between players, for more than 4 players divide as evenly as possible.
Choose a player to wear the heart rate monitor, they will be the ‘Cutter’.
Turn on the Mightier tablet, enter Gizmode, and select ‘Cut the Wire’.
How to Play
Players work together to create four of a kind in all of the piles.
To begin, start the timer and flip over the top two cards from the draw pile and place them side by side face-up between the players.
Players can pick up any one of their piles of four and swap a card from that hand with a card in the center.
- Players can have one stack of four in their hand at a time and swap one card at a time from that hand with the cards in the middle.
- There are no turns, play happens as fast as possible.
- Players can talk to each other to say what they need and share plans.
- Once a player creates the first set of four of a kind they yell ‘Cut!’. If the Gizmo is in the blue the set of four can be removed from play by the Cutter, if it’s in the red then the Cutter must wait until the Gizmo returns to blue to remove the cards.
- Once the first set is removed the Cutter adds a card from the draw deck to the center area face-up. Once the second set of four is removed the last draw card can be added to the center.
- Once all four cards are in the center area players continue to try to make matches of four in their piles. The Cutter continues to remove matched piles when players say ‘Cut’ and the Gizmo is in the blue, multiple matched piles can be removed together with a single cut.
- Another way to create a match is to match all four center cards, if this occurs then the center cards can be removed from play using standard cutting rules. The four center cards can then be replaced with the cards from any one of a player’s piles of four.
- The game ends when all of the piles have been matched and removed from play. Stop the timer and check your time.
Extra Ways to Play
Hand Off Rules – allows more cooperation
Once someone matches and removes all of their piles the other players can hand off some of their unmatched piles to that player.
Get the Party Started Rules – speeds up game
Start the game with all 4 cards in the middle.
Library Rules – makes the game harder but sillier
No talking during the game, can use hand signals
Red Wire Blue Wire Rules – varies the Gizmo challenge
After getting into the blue to make the first cut the Cutter must get into the red to make the second cut. Cutter continues to alternate between red and blue for the rest of the game.
Feel free to make other game changes, remember whatever feels fun is the right way to play!
Tips on Easing into Play
Play without timers or countdowns
Play with piles face-up
Pair parents and kids as a team using the same piles
Have parents wear heart rate monitor first
Watch the Video
More Mightier Games to Play
Additional Mightier Family Games will be shared throughout your membership, so there are always new games and fun!